Using Stakeholder Engagements to Access Women Entrepreneurs
Tega Ventures is a pan-Asian venture capital fund focused on the “she economy” and founded by Virginia Tan. It focuses on investing in technology companies in Southeast Asia, with strategic exposure to China and India.
Venture capitalists tend to see social and financial issues as very separate, whereas for many women who found companies, social impact is integral to the business.
Tan saw an opportunity in the underserved women’s market. From the experience of running her first fund she noted that women are drivers of new business models in the internet economy. They are also first adopters of a number of new consumption modes, buying on behalf of themselves and their households.
- The fund branded itself as focused on the she economy, a strategy it found to be effective in deal origination
- Tan participated in events like She Loves Tech, a start-up accelerator platform, which gave her access to women who are entrepreneurs, as well as other investors and influencers
- The fund connects its portfolio companies with larger, more established investors to educate them about gender-lens investing
- Tega Ventures has built a deal-sourcing advantage through their networks and events
- Tega has invested in 20 technology-based companies since 2018